Why You Should Sharpen Your Skills
Approaching a change in life with inflexible attitude can do you more harm than good. Inflexible behavior barely works in ever changing life. Just like there’s no such thing as static personal life, there’s most definitely no such thing as static professional life.
You can seriously damage your career prospects if you are doing nothing to keep up with the ever changing and increasing demands of your profession. Remember, you might be good at what you are doing but there’s always scope to do things even better. And if your eyes are set on a promotion or a raise then you better do something to prove that you deserve it.
If you’ve decided not to do anything to improve your skills, then you’ll lose your job because you no longer contributing towards company’s success or some new member in the office will be promoted ahead of you because s/he has some new useful skills.
In short, if you want to stay in the game then you not just need to know all the rules but also keep improving yourself to stay on the top.
Below are mentioned few things you can do to sharpen your skills so you would stay ahead as always.
• Change Your Attitude: It’s all about your attitude, if you think you have learned enough and there’s nothing to learn then you won’t be able to improve your skills. There’s no such thing as too much learning or knowledge, we all learn something new every single day. Challenge yourself every day; keep some time apart to read about new progress happening in your industry. Find out what sort of new skills you need to stay ahead of new your colleagues, who might be better educated than you.
• Learn New Skills: Basic knowledge of computers is needed in every industry these days. Learn to operate computer even if you are not working on them presently in your current. Sooner or later your company would update the technology and you might find it stressful to make smooth transition if you don’t know a thing about computers. Learning in advance won’t hurt. Basically, learn new skills related to your field so that you can keep pace with change.
• Attend Conferences And Seminars: Companies/organizations hold conferences or seminars to keep people updated on latest advancements in the industry and other important stuff. Don’t miss any seminar that’s related to your field as you can gain invaluable information by attending these meetings.
• Sharpen Your Interpersonal Skills: Today’s tech-savvy world is all about communication and forming a network. Be nice to people in your office and focus on building rapport with them. Connect and build connections online as well on social media networks.
• Stay Focused and Inspired: If you have been doing your job for 5 or 10 years, you might not be feeling as motivated to do it day in and day out anymore. But staying focused, inspired and upbeat about your work is also very important. People don’t have to be geniuses to realize that you are doing your work half-heartedly. It won’t be good for you if your boss happens to notice that as well.
• Don’t Get Lost In The Crowd: If you want your senior or boss to recognize your efforts than you would have to step up. If you have learned a new skill and there’s an assignment where you can apply it, then volunteer for that assignment. People wouldn’t know you can do something unless you’d drop some hints.
Few others things you would have to do:
• First and foremost, you’ve to be adaptable to change.
• Keep some time apart for learning every single day.
• Willingness to learn and improve your skills.
• Never stop practicing or updating your skills.
Lastly, always remember, you continuously work to be successful; success isn’t something that falls in your lap without hard work. Even after you get it you have to work continuously to maintain it and to maintain it you need to stay one step ahead of everyone else.
India Academic Jobs Search
Don't forget to mention Scholarship-Positions.com when replying to this position.
Browse Academic Jobs in India
Popular Scholarship Tags
Recent Academic Jobs
- Vacancy in IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur for the post of Job Assistant
- Junior / Senior Research Associate Jobs in IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur
- Jobs in University of Delhi, Delhi for the post of Senior Information Executives
- JRF & Technical Assistant Jobs in JNU, New Delhi
- DBT Project Scientist Vacancy in IIT Kanpur, Kanpur
- Jobs for the post of Project Scientist in IIT Kanpur, Kanpur
- Project Associate Jobs in IIT Kanpur, Kanpur
- Vacancies in IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur for the post of Technician
- JRF Vacancy in IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur
Recent Career Blogs
- Senior Research Fellowships in Agriculture for Indian Students
- PhD Scholarships for Indian Students
- Research Fellowships in Civil Engineering for Indian Students
- Business & Management Scholarships for Indian Students
- International PhD Scholarships for Indian Students
- DRDO Research Fellowships
- Physics Fellowships for Indian Students
- Chemistry Fellowships for Indian Students
- International Study Abroad Scholarships for Indian Students 2012
- Scholarships for Indian Students in India
Useful LinksSearch in Worldwide Universities
Oxford Laboratory Technology
Search Courses in Indian Universities
IndiaJobs.co.in, India Jobs Employment, Recruitment, Careers, Interview
Scholarships in India
GRE Prep and Free Courses