De mystifying Top 3 Myths about Job Interviews
Top 3 Myths about Job Interviews
I am sure all of us have had butterflies in the stomach while we were on the other side of the table i.e. a job aspirant waiting for ‘the interview’.
Be it your first interview or your umpteenth one, what matters most is how you market yourself during that brief period of time. There are organizations where the interviewing process has been made very objective via prescriptive means, standardization of technical/behavioral questions, in accordance to the career level of the incumbent/opening. Again there are organizations where the interview happens impromptu.
Nevertheless, whatever be the space, it’s imperative that you must succeed. Over the course of years in the industry, I have summed up the top three concerns. Once you have overcome the fear of the common myths, you will feel confident about your abilities. Trust me, knowledge is power.
Myth 1. If the interviewer asks you ‘”Do you think you have any weakness”? Commonly you will be advised to avoid the question, and play upon your strengths.
Fact 1. Interviewer wants to gauge whether you are aware of your limitations and how you would manage to work around it and accomplish your goals. No human is free of weakness. If someone tends to signal s/he has no weakness it implies that you are unaware of it. The signal that should go to the interviewer is that, you know how to manage the weakness and thrive.
Myth 2. The interviewer is going to ask you the toughest of technical questions, and try to figure which is your weakest area and based on that very criteria select or reject you.
Fact 2. The interviewer has a tough job of assessing your abilities and ensure job fitment within a very short time. Hence, the intent is to find how far you fit the bill, at your present abilities. Selecting you is the best option for an interviewer, as s/he has already invested time in you, during the interview process. The interviewer would like to ask you moderate to tough questions to understand the depth of your knowledge; will also be checking on you trainability on a specific area where your technical skills may not be sound. The aim is to make an informed decision about the candidate’s ability, which helps in pegging the candidate at the right level within the organization.
Myth 3. The interviewer makes up his mind whether to select or reject you in the first 30 seconds, of the interview
Fact 3. In most organizations, where there is an HR team, typically there is enough focus on the interview process. It is likely that the process will be structured and defined to an extent that would rule out these biases. Hence, put your best foot forward and don’t worry about personal bias.
Trust the above reading cleared the mist and has infused positive learning. Hear the winner in you unravel!
Kindly post your comments, opinion below this blog.
Wishing you all, success!!!
Anwesha Chatterji had been working as HR Manager with Top MNCs . Anwesha Chatterji has been writing and contributing on Academicjobs.in through her blogs dedicated towards job market and interview and soft skill. She completed her MBA from Jadavpur University. She has invaluable experience of 7 years in HR administration and recruitment. During which she gained unprecedented expertise in Scheduling Teams and in Strategizing, Leading and Motivating the HR function
India Academic Jobs Search
Don't forget to mention Scholarship-Positions.com when replying to this position.
Browse Academic Jobs in India
Popular Scholarship Tags
Recent Academic Jobs
- Vacancy in IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur for the post of Job Assistant
- Junior / Senior Research Associate Jobs in IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur
- Jobs in University of Delhi, Delhi for the post of Senior Information Executives
- JRF & Technical Assistant Jobs in JNU, New Delhi
- DBT Project Scientist Vacancy in IIT Kanpur, Kanpur
- Jobs for the post of Project Scientist in IIT Kanpur, Kanpur
- Project Associate Jobs in IIT Kanpur, Kanpur
- Vacancies in IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur for the post of Technician
- JRF Vacancy in IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur
Recent Career Blogs
- Senior Research Fellowships in Agriculture for Indian Students
- PhD Scholarships for Indian Students
- Research Fellowships in Civil Engineering for Indian Students
- Business & Management Scholarships for Indian Students
- International PhD Scholarships for Indian Students
- DRDO Research Fellowships
- Physics Fellowships for Indian Students
- Chemistry Fellowships for Indian Students
- International Study Abroad Scholarships for Indian Students 2012
- Scholarships for Indian Students in India
Useful LinksSearch in Worldwide Universities
Oxford Laboratory Technology
Search Courses in Indian Universities
IndiaJobs.co.in, India Jobs Employment, Recruitment, Careers, Interview
Scholarships in India
GRE Prep and Free Courses